Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Kindergarten Van Gogh Styled Rudolphs

Now, I usually don't do Holiday Projects, however, I thought this would be a great project to help students learn how to draw basic shapes, Add texture to the Reindeers with the INfluence Of Van Gogh, review and work on coloring in nice and neatly, and start understanding outlining pencil lines to make drawings "pop" and clear.
I made a Slideshow with images of Van Gogh's work, a brief life bio, and pictures of real reindeers. We sang Rudolph the red nose reindeer.
We started out with basic shapes. I emphasized making the shapes and Reindeer as large as the page.
We did a step by step drawing.
Then we outlined the pencil lines with Black Sharpie Markers. We talked about erasing our pencil lines to make the project look clean and neat. They stood up to give a little more strength to erase. Some struggled with that, however, I used this as a teachable moment for them and for myself. I partnered them up and they helped eachother hold each others paper.
Then we added a "scratchy" texture like Van Gogh did in his paintings.
Then to top it off we add a red glitter nose. I am not a fan of glitter but around the season, a little looks wonderful!






No comments:

Post a Comment